Thursday, December 16, 2010

Big Ideas Fest 2010

Big Ideas Fest:
December 5-8th, 2010

“If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” Isaac Newton

If I were to summarize my 4 days in Half Moon Bay, CA at Big Ideas Fest (BIF) it would be that the potential of each of us is greater than our minds could possibly conceive. BIF was filled with normal people. These normal people of all ages are achieving inspiring things and not one person doing them egotistically. I met so many humble individuals working hard, moving through doubt and seeming disasters and simply continuing on because that is just what they do. Meeting people dedicated to the pursuit of their joy felt like a breath of fresh air! People are inspiring, they connect with one another, are kind, and are working to be their best all over the world; but they’re still just normal people who have decided to do the work. Throughout the weekend, there seemed to be reoccurring themes that are important ingredients for these normal people to achieve exciting change.

Number one involves letting go of preconceived ideas and assumptions. Crack your brain open to ALL of the possibilities; mundane, insane and everything in between. Allow yourself to be open to the unknown. A change in perspective is imperative, so is number two, defining a need.

Why and for whom are important things to ask yourself. Is there a need? It seems like focusing on people is a key to success, especially when things get trying as they will. A need could also be more personal. As you pursue your passion, the road seems to appear before you where you hadn’t seen it before. Maybe the need is following your joy and to keep saying yes and moving even if you’re not sure where you’re going. But you don’t have to do it alone.

Number three, find a support system and ask questions of those who know more than you do or know different things than you do. Ask, ask, ask and then keep asking questions. Stay humble and open to others, the universe and to the experience. One of my favorite quotes shared during the week was, “If you want to go quickly, go alone, but if you want to go far, go together.”

This was a busy whirlwind fest. One I had no preconceived plan as to what I would achieve. I can only say that it felt like the universe was pushing me to attend and the only way to see why was to just commit, to say yes. I think it’s better to do than to sit back and wonder, stuck on the “what ifs?” I am glad I went. There is something about timidly entering a group and slowly feeling oneself connect with others, feel understood and to grow into new ideas and ways of thinking in only a few short days. I did learn a lot about concrete things and I was exposed to new programs and technologies. I think those things are very important. But what I took away most from BIF was a feeling of inspired possibility and momentum.


#bif2010

No comments:

Post a Comment